IGDA NYC Game Dev Digest – April 2022
New York – New York City| 13 Apr 2022
Editor: Mattia Sicuro
A monthly publication of the International Game Developers Association New York City Chapter for the NYC game community.
email@example.com • igda.nyc
In this issue:
What’s on | Highlights of upcoming events.
Chapter Events | Meetups, talks, and other events we’re hosting.
#NYMakesGames News | Game launches and other updates from local creators.
Around Town | A community calendar of events from across the city.
Jobs & Opportunities | The latest posts from our notice boards.
IGDA Resources | Discounts and other benefits for IGDA members.
Chapter Resources | Where to go for more info.
Monday Afternoon Co-Working on Discord
IGDA NYC Discord
Every Monday, 1pm – 4pm
Come join us at our new regular co-working hours on our Discord channel!
We’ll be working camera optional/mic off on the Events Voice Channel. But our new Lounge Channel will be right next door for anyone who wants to show off what they’re working on, ask some questions, or just hang out.
Game of the Month Club on Discord
IGDA NYC Discord
Monday, April 18th, 8:00pm ET
Like a book club, but for games on our Discord channel!
This month’s game is Onde by Lance, 3-50 and published by Mixtvision. Onde is a smooth, intuitive puzzle-platformer with organic movement, fluid gameplay and relaxing sounds that make for a Zen-like journey
Available on Steam
IGDA NYC BYO Ice Cream Social on Discord
Thursday, April 14th, 6:30 – 8:30pm ET
We won’t be hosting live Ice Cream Socials for a while. Instead, feel free to grab a pint or a cuppa and hang out with fellow game devs on our Discord!
Whether it’s just to chat, get some feedback or show off a project, come and spend some time catching up in an informal weekend setting.
- The Game Devs of Color Expo has announced that submissions for speakers & games are now open for the GDoCExpo 2022! Speakers can apply here, and games can submitted here. Submissions close on Saturday, April 30th!
- My Favorite Sound From… A show by Jeff Penny, surrounding discussions with people working in game audio about the sounds they are most proud and want to share with the world! Check out the first episode here!
- Capella: a solitary note joins an ensemble – Developed over the course of one semester for USC Games, in partnership with Berklee College of Music, play as a Witch going about their usual days of collecting and crafting celestial items into instruments.
- Portrait of a Texas Family by Lookout Drive Games is a slice-of-life story taking place in present-day Houston, Texas about a family caring for their transgender daughter in turbulent times handled with sensitivity and care.
- A Memoir Blue – Dive into champion swimmer Miriam’s memories of her turbulent childhood and the complicated relationship she shared with her devoted mother in this interactive poem, out now on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and PC!
- Wylde Flowers – Available on Apple Arcade, Wylde Flowers is a cozy life and farming sim with a witchy twist! Escape to a cute world of diverse folks, and magical spells, as you and the coven unravel a mystery!
- Hyper Light Breaker – Play alone or with friends to explore massive biomes, defeat brutal monsters, create new builds, survive the mysterious Crowns and overthrow the almighty Abyss King in this adventure from the creators of Hyper Light Drifter.
- The Perished is a first person horror game where the player must use stealth and wits to escape the evil that faces them. This tense and story driven experience will leave the player terrified, but excited to explore the mysteries that surround them.
- IMMORTALITY: An Interactive Movie Trilogy from Sam Barlow, creator of Her Story.
- The Game Devs of Color Expo team has been releasing their 2021 talks and interviews on Youtube! Make sure to check back every week for newly released videos, sign up for their mailing list and donate!
- Applications to join GUMBO are open! GUMBO is a non-profit collective of indie game creators located in Dumbo, Brooklyn formed to inspire and motivate each other, stay current in the indie game makers community, and expand an already amazing skill-sharing network.
- In support of Wonderville, consider becoming a member of Death By Audio Arcade to earn discounts on event tickets, help the team raise funds to build new arcade cabinets and make other cool things happen with local game devs!
- ANNY Exchange is a Talent Connect Initiative for Animation Nights New York. Want to participate and be added to the database of Animation Talent from all around the world? More info here
Want to show your Pico-8 game at Wonderville? Submit to the curation team here!
- Animation Nights New York (ANNY) is always accepting submissions for Animated Short Films, AR Animation Experiences, VR animation Experiences, and Interactive Media (including Video Games). More info here
Thursday, April 7th
“Games for All” Game Design Challenge: Concept & Planning Presentation – The “Games for All” Chalenge empowers K-12 students to create their own video game through a collaborative, creative and critical thinking. IGDA and Legends of Learning are proud to host the Spring ’22 Challenge!
NYU Game Center Lecture Series Presents: Shawn Pierre – Join the Game Center as Professor Shawn Pierre discusses examples, and emerging taxonomies of the “secret north stars” of game development that we often don’t even notice.
Saturday, April 9th
Indiecade Horizons 2022 Conference – Horizons is an online, international event to showcase game students, universities, and colleges and connect them with one another, tool creators, recruiters, and the broader public.
Wednesday, April 13th
Digital Dozen: Breakthroughs in Storytelling Awards – Join Columbia Digital Storytelling Lab for the 7th edition Digital Dozen Breakthrough in Storytelling Awards celebrating 12 innovative works exploring new forms & functions of storytelling!
Thursday, April 14th
IGDA NYC Ice Cream Social on Discord – Whether it’s just to chat, get some feedback or show off a project, come and spend some time catching up in an informal weekend setting.
Sunday, April 17th
Virtual Sundays Hosted by Randall H. with Hacker Hours – Free office hours for coding help—any programming language, all levels of experience. The format is super simple: you attend with a thing you want to learn or a project to build, and work (virtually) alongside others doing the same!
Monday, April 18th
IGDA NYC Game of the Month Club on Discord – Like a book club, but for games! Stop by our Discord channel at 8pm to join in talks for this month’s game, Onde
Wednesday, April 20th
Building and Using Virtual Reality in Education (VR in Education) – Join VR in Education to connect with educators, developers and others in this space to discuss effective ways of developing and implementing VR in educational spaces.
Thursday, April 21st
NYU Game Center Incubator Showcase – Join the NYU Game Center for a streaming showcase where each of the Incubator developers will be interviewed about their game, progress, and process by their game’s Executive Producer!
IGDA NYC Monday Afternoon Co-working on Discord (1pm)
Killer Queen Open Hive Night at Wonderville
NYC Gaming Discord Testing Tuesdays – 8:30pm
- NYU Game Center Live – 12:30-1:30pm
Volumetric Society of NYC Hardware Hack Lab
NYU Game Center Playtest Thursdays (5:30pm)
Hacker Hours Virtual Sundays for programming help
View or submit a listing for free.
- Senior Writer – Possibility Space (Work Anywhere)
- Lecturer – Game Design at Hostos Community College
- Looking to gain more experience working on narrative focused 2D platformers? Check out Quiddity Games! The team is primarily made up of recent graduates and current students looking to gain more game development experience. All members of this team are volunteers, and are not working for compensation. If interested, complete the form here
Panel submissions for Narrascope 2022 are open for multiple presentation categories for narrative games [Deadline: April 22nd]
- Games 4 Change Student Challenge submissions are open, Students can enter their original social impact games for the chance to win prizes, including a $10,000 scholarship [Deadline: April 8th]
- Regular submissions to Indiecade 2022 have been extended to April 15th!
- Wonderville Wondercab June 2022 Residency – Submit your game for consideration for the Wondercab arcade cabinet! This is for the 3 month Wondercab residency that will begin on June 1st. [Deadline April 29th]
Indiecade Horizons is premiering three new annual awards in the games education landscape, one for teaching, service, and innovation and nominations are open! Any and all game educators working in higher education are eligible, and self-nominations are welcome. Nominate here! [Deadline: April 9th]
- GamDevCT 2022 Entrepreneurship Foundation Pitch Competition – Pitch your game to a panel of industry professionals in the first annual Connecticut competition for digital games, card games, and board games for entertainment and education. [Deadline: April 25th]
Looking for work? Hiring?
Visit our Jobs and Opportunities board to view or post listings for free.
Want to help us do things?
Learn about volunteering with the chapter.
Dear Game Development Community, I hope this...
IGDA18 May 2022
Adds Three Members to 2022 Board of Directors and...
IGDA18 May 2022
Today we would like to spotlight our partner Amazon...
Partner10 May 2022