Game Design Challenge Winners Announced18 May 2021
Legends of Learning, Inc., the leading game-based learning platform in the United States, and the IGDA has announced the grand prize, runner-up, and honorable mention winners for the Dell Technologies Advancing Sustainability Game Design Challenge, sponsored by Dell Technologies, Alienware, Microsoft, Roblox, Wargaming, AWS, Code in the Schools, and ESA Foundation. The competition was the spring edition of Legends of Learning’s game-based learning competition series designed to engage kids at home with interactive and collaborative team-based STEM competitions during virtual/hybrid learning, in collaboration with the IGDA. The Award Ceremonies aired last week on the IGDA Twitch Channel, and is now available online to view.
“We are thrilled to announce the Grand Prize, Runner-Up, and Honorable Mention winners of the Dell Technologies Advancing Sustainability Game Design Challenge,” said Lindsay Buckel, the
Director of STEM Competitions at Legends of Learning. “Our judges were especially impressed by the students’ creativity when intertwining the theme of advancing sustainability into their game designs. We greatly appreciate the effort, attention to detail, and time all participants put into their submissions. We encourage them and other students throughout the country to participate in future competitions.”
“The submissions we received for the Game Design Challenge were extremely impressive and it was truly outstanding to be able to see such creativity. The hundreds of submissions we received were filled with amazing ideas. I saw creative designs, beautiful art, deep stories, and lots of humor as well! And, of course, recognition of how important it is that we take care of our planet,” commented Renee Gittins, Executive Director of the IGDA. “It is so heartwarming to see the next generation of game developers, creatives, and technologists explore their skills. I am greatly looking forward to what they create in the future.”
Additionally, Legends of Learning and IGDA would like to recognize all of the incredible teachers and parents who assisted their students with this competition.
The Grand Prize Winners were:
- The Super Long Math Game of Rolling Dice and Involves Earth (Bermudian Springs
School District, PA)
- Cephion (Dwi Emas International School, Malaysia)
The Runner Up Winners were:
- Beach Busters (Cobb County School District, GA)
- Tree Games (Ulm School District 85, MT)
- <RECYCL3R> (Hunterdon County, NJ)
- Heroes of the Future (Sacred Heart School – Ateneo de Cebu, Philippines)
- East Haven (Wolf Creek School Division, Canada)
- Game of Nature (Harmony Public Schools, TX)
- Recycling War (San Bernardino City Unified School District, CA)
- Space Sniper (School District of Manatee County, FL)
- Plant Pong (Charleston County School District, SC)
- EcoIsland (Cobb County School District, GA)
The Honorable Mention Winners were:
- Team Bottle vs Team Paper (Gwinnett County Public Schools, GA)
- Pixel Rush (USD 273, KS)
- Nature Adventure (Bethel Park School District, PA)
- Muck (El Paso ISD, Texas)
- Vita (Zionsville Community Schools, IN)
- The Legend of the 4 Flowers (Wolfcreek School Division, Canada)
- Asteroid Inc. (Calvert County Public Schools, MD)
- A Glimpse Into The Future: Life On Mars (Catoosa County School District, GA)
- Zoo Cafe (Cobb County School District, GA)
- Flippy Bird (Orange County Public Schools, FL)
- Sustainable PacMan (Belgrade School District, MT)
- Rat Attack (Ephrata Area School District, PA)
- Umong Us (Ephrata Area School District, PA)
- Mushroom Treachery (Ephrata Area School District, PA)
- Havoc Authority (Catoosa County School District, GA)
- Save the Golden Goose (Ephrata Area School District, PA)
- Renewable Racing (Harmony Public Schools, TX)
- The Recycling VR Project (Perry Local Schools, OH)
- Wolf Adventures (Champaign Unit 4 School District, IL)
- Kilowatt Racing Charleston County School District, SC)
- Realizing Evil Cumberland County Schools, NC)
- Scrapcatch (Weymouth Public Schools, MA)
- RoDungeons (Miami-Dade County Public Schools, FL)
- Garden Alchemist (Bermudian Springs School District, PA)
- The Land of Liayn (Mobile County Public School System, AL)
- Little Monsters Rising (Portage Public Schools, MI)
- Hacktivist (Medford School District, OR)
- Saving Our Home (Harmony Public Schools, TX)
- A Hero’s journey (Broward County Public Schools, FL)
- Rescuing The Princess (Cupertino Union School District, CA)
- Pastafarian (Owings Mills, MD)
Wish (Franklin Township Public Schools, NJ)
About Legends of Learning
Legends of Learning is the leading game-based learning platform in the United States, with over 2,000 curriculum-aligned games covering K -8 grade science and math. Legends of Learning
believes that by working with our human nature to learn through experience and play, we can accelerate the pace of learning for humanity. Legends has over 2 million students using the platform in all 50 states and D.C. Whether you are a 4 grader learning about Fractions or a 7 grader learning about Cell Structure, you can learn more effectively through games on the Legend of Learning platform.
About the International Game Developers Association
The International Game Developers Association (IGDA) is the world’s largest nonprofit membership organization serving all individuals who create games.
The IGDA is a U.S.-based 501(c)6 non-profit professional association and a global network of collaborative projects and communities of individuals from all fields of game development. The
IGDA’s diverse membership encompasses programmers and producers, designers and artists, writers, business people, QA team members, localization experts, and anyone else who participates in the game development process.
The mission of the IGDA is to support and empower game developers around the world in achieving fulfilling and sustainable careers.
For more info, please visit www.igda.org.
Legends of Learning: @legendlearning
Legends of Learning: @legendsoflearning
Legends of Learning: @LegendsofLearning
Legends of Learning: @LegendsofLearning
It has come to our attention that there has...
16 Sep 2021
Today we would like to highlight two students who...
13 Sep 2021
Greetings, IGDA and other members of the game industry,...
IGDA8 Sep 2021